The Camargue is a touring frame for folks who ride mostly on unpaved, roads. It can carry a substantial load for long unsupported trips, yet handles very well even with no load at all. It can be ridden with traditional racks and panniers or bike packer style. Being a mid-trail design it works well with both front and rear loads.
Geometry is designed to handle like the much-praised Campeur, even with larger tires. This frame is not suspension corrected, allowing us to better fine tune handling. We suspect that some of these will be built up as rugged city bikes or commuters.
In case you were wondering, it's named after an ancient breed of French horse reputed to be especially rugged and intelligent.
Here are some of the highlights and specs:
- 4130 double butted chrome-moly frame and fork.
- 1-1/8" fork with lovely French-style bend.
- 700c (29er) wheel size on 56-62cm frames; 26" on the smaller sizes.
- 135mm rear spacing.
- Bi-plane fork crown.
- Clearance for 1.9" (48mm) tires with fenders or 2.25" (57mm) tires without fenders (don't use fenders with "knobby" tires).
- Canti brake bosses.
- Seatstay cable stop.
- Beefy horizontal dropouts, so you can use an internal gear hub.
- Double eyelets front and rear.
- Fender bosses under fork crown, at seat stay bridge, and at chainstay bridge for easy fender mounting.
- Three water bottle cage mounts, two on 47cm and 50 models.
- Lowrider through bosses and seatstay rack eyelets.
- Metal head badge.
- Carmargue decals on top tube showing three ancient horses galloping. They are removable.
- The frame geometry chart can be found at this link.
- A brief comparison of the frame and other VO frames can be found at this link.
Includes frame and fork. Headset not included.
Here is what you, or your mechanic, need to know when building up the frame: The headset is 1 1/8" threadless, canti brakes, BB is standard ISO (or British) with a spindle length to match your choice of crank, 27.2mm seat post, it takes a 28.6mm clamp size front derailleur, 135mm rear spacing, clearance for 1.9" (48mm) tires with fenders or 2.25" (57mm) tires without fenders. Wider tires, above 1.9", will require MTB drivetrain.
Any components ordered by retail customers at the same time as the frame will be discounted by 10%; this reduction will be made when we process your order and will appear on your final shipping confirmation/invoice.
Note: this is an oversized item, so for orders to the contiguous US an additional $25.00 shipping charge will be added. Shipping to Alaska, Hawaii, military addresses, and overseas will be quoted separately. Due to size restrictions, we can't send frames to certain countries (at least not at reasonable cost).