Pass Hunter Disc Frameset
The Pass Hunter is an "all-road" frame. It's designed for spirited riding on pavement, gravel, or dirt roads. It's like a randonneur, but with disc brakes and large tires.
The Pass Hunter has mid-trail geometry and shorter chainstays than our other frames for stable, yet sporty, handling. In addition to all road adventures, randonneuring and pass hunting, it makes would make a nice sportiff or a fast credit card tourer.
The term "pass hunter" refers to the sport of riding over multiple mountain passes. It's more popular in France and Japan than in the US. Rules are explained on this page.
The particulars are:
- 4130 double butted chrome-moly frame and fork.
- IS brake mounts
- 1-1/8" threadless fork with lovely French-style bend and VO-designed brake mount.
- 700c wheel size.
- 135mm rear spacing.
- Clearance for 35mm tires with fenders, 38mm without.
- Internal routing for rear brake cable housing (or hydraulic tubing). There is a small internal tube brazed in for cable routing, making installation simple and preventing water from getting into the frame tubes.
- Vertical dropouts.
- Replaceable stainless steel derailleur hanger
- Fender bosses under fork crown, at seat stay bridge, and at chainstay bridge for easy fender mounting.
- Two water bottle cage mounts.
- Single eyelets on rear dropouts. Fender and upper rack bosses on fork, plus front eyelets.
- Internal seat stay eyelets
- Seat tube decal over clear coat.
- Metal head badge. (except on 51cm size)
- Build note: The fork brake mounts allow for TRP, Tektro, Shimano, and Paul disc adaptors to be mounted, but not SRAM/Avid. If you have any compatibility questions, please let us know.
- The frame geometry chart can be found at this link.
- A brief comparison of the frame and other VO frames can be found at this link.
Includes frame and fork. Headset not included.
There is a great review of the canti-brake version of the Pass Hunter in the May 2014 issue of Bicycle Times magazine. A few quotes can be found here.
Here is what you, or your mechanic, need to know when building up the frame: The headset is standard 1-1/8"; bottom bracket is standard 68mm threaded; 27.2mm seat post; 28.6mm clamp size front derailleur; 135mm rear spacing; and 45mm fenders with 35mm tires. IS mount disc brakes (hydraulic or cable). 160 mm rotors are the largest recommended. Also note that the fork brake mounts allow for TRP, Tektro, Shimano and Paul disc mounts. SRAM/Avid mounts will not work.
Any components ordered by retail customers at the same time as the frame will be discounted by 10%; this reduction will be made when we process your order and will appear on your final shipping confirmation/invoice.
Note: this is an oversized item, so our free shipping promotion does not apply. But your shipping cost will never exceed $22 for orders to the contiguous US. Shipping to Alaska, Hawaii, military addresses, and overseas will be quoted separately. Due to size restrictions, we can't ship frames to certain countries (at least not at reasonable cost).