Polyvalent MK3 Frame and Fork
"Easily the most versatile bike out of dozens tested, the chromoly Polyvalent handles like a dream on long city voyages with as much as 40 pounds on the front rack"
Outside Magazine Buyers Guide
Update (4/12/16): The Polyvalent is currently on vacation. It's going back to drawing board to be rejuvenated with modified geometry, fit, and clearances. Keep an eye out on the blog for updates.
The Polyvalent is an urban bike that's also capable of being used for cyclo-touring, brevets, and club rides. Polyvalent is French for "general purpose."
The frame is a low-trail French inspired design, much like our old VO Gentleman frame. It's designed for front loads.
- The paint is an elegant metallic blue.
- Wheel size is 650b, which we feel is really the best choice for a comfortable ride on bumpy city streets or rough country roads. Maximum tire size with fenders is around 44mm but the frame handles best with a tire around 38mm wide.
- The rear dropouts are short horizontal dropouts to allow internal hubs and single speed wheels to be used without the need for a chain tensioner. Longer dropouts would make wheel removal difficult on a fendered bike. Rear spacing is 132.5mm, so both 130mm and 135mm rear hubs fit.
- There is a kickstand plate. A Spring Thing can be fitted between the kickstand plate and the front of the rear fender. This allows the fender to flex forward for wheel removal, while maintaining proper fenderline.
- There are shifter bosses on the down tube.
- There are three water bottle mounts.
- The tubing is all 4130 double butted chromoly. This makes for a light frame and a supple and comfortable ride.
- The tubes are TIG welded.
- The rear brake cable housing is uninterrupted. You can sit on the top tube at the cafe without fear of bare cable marring the paint, or your office pants. The cable is not run under the top tube so as not to dig into your shoulder when you carry the bike up the steps to your apartment. There is an integrated rear brake hanger.
- Includes frame and 1" threaded fork.
The Polyvalent frame takes a 27.2mm seatpost and 28.6mm front derailleur clamp.
Check out photos of builds here.
Any components ordered by retail customers at the same time as the frame will be discounted by 10%; this reduction will be made when we process your order and will appear on your final shipping confirmation/invoice.
Note: this is an oversized item, so our free shipping promotion does not apply. But your shipping cost will never exceed $22 for orders to the contiguous US. Shipping to Alaska, Hawaii, military addresses, and overseas will be quoted separately. Due to size restrictions, we can't ship wheels or rims to certain countries (at least not at reasonable cost).